Winter Quarter Job Skills Workshops
South Seattle College's WorkSource Career Center and the Seattle Public Library are teaming up to offer free virtual Job Skills Workshops throughout the winter!
Register in advance for these workshops by clicking the links below, you will be redirected to the Seattle Public Library website to register for these free services open to everyone interested. More workshops can be found at www.spl.org/event-calendar.
Looking for additional career support? Visit the WorkSource Career Center for virtual drop-in office hours, recordings of our workshops, career coaching, resumé and cover letter, job search support, interviewing prep, industry information, internship support and employer connections.
ALL VIRTUAL WORKSHOPS ARE HELD ON THURSDAYS – 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
How to Build a Resume - Jan. 28, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Designed for individuals unsure of where to begin in writing a resume. We'll discuss the purpose of a resume, the various sections within a resume, different resume styles, and strategies for formatting.
Target and Refine a Resume - Feb. 4, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Have support in developing a strong resume tailored to the position you’re applying to. Please have your resume and a job description for the position you are interested in.
Interview Skills - Feb. 11, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- This workshop addresses general preparation, researching companies, what to expect, and answering behavior-based and other tough, important interview questions. We’ll also cover tips specific to virtual/video interviews as well.
Creating a LinkedIn Profile - Feb. 18, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- LinkedIn is a powerful professional networking tool that can help you research career pathways, connect with people doing the kind of work that interests you, and learn about job opportunities. This workshop will introduce you to the basics of building a professional and compelling profile.
Building Your Social Network Through LinkedIn - Feb. 25, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- You have taken the time to build an amazing LinkedIn Profile with a great photo, your resume, skills and interests. This workshop will discuss some of the many ways you can utilize LinkedIn to connect with previous co-workers, alumni and employers and jump-start your path towards a career. We will cover topics such as how Linked in connections work, gaining endorsements, and ways to generate traffic to your profile.
Career Exploration - March 4, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Learn skills and be introduced to the long-term value of career exploration and planning, identify factors influencing your career choice(s), and employ career exploration resources to develop specific next steps in your career exploration process.
Mock Interviews - March 11, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Gain feedback to sharpen your interview skills. Sign up to receive feedback on your interviewing skills. The first half of the workshop will consist of techniques to answering various interview questions. In the final half of the workshop, the facilitator and attendees practice their interview skills, discuss performance, and provide feedback.
Job Search Strategies - March 18, 2021, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Effective strategies are critical for your job search, whether you are unemployed and looking for a job or considering making a career move. Mastering the process of searching and applying for jobs can help you find, and ultimately acquire, the best job opportunities. Evaluating different kinds of job searching strategies can help you evaluate which strategy will work best for your situation.