Tips & Tricks for a Successful Fall Quarter!
Tips for a Strong Start to Fall Quarter 2022
Tip 1: Set yourself up for success! A new quarter means a fresh start, take the necessary time to get organized and acquainted with your classes.
- Read ALL your syllabi. The syllabus provided for a class contains crucial information such as deadlines, class policies and expectations, contact information, and more. You never know what you might miss if you skip your syllabus.
- Ask Questions! After reviewing your syllabus, make a list of any questions you have going into the fall quarter. Establishing a clear understanding of class expectations early on is crucial.
Tip 2: Stay in the know! Get signed up for South’s communications so you never miss an important message.
- Sign up for emergency text messages through SeattleCollegesAlerts. Emergency messages include reports on potential campus closures due to weather and other safety information.
- Be sure to check your email regularly. Make sure you keep up on messages from South at your email on file with the college. We send regular emails regarding upcoming events, resources, opportunities, and more!
- Follow South Seattle College’s socials! Be sure to get connected to our Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook for weekly posts on need-to-know information and to keep up with our campus community.
Tip 3: Know your resources! Take the time to review the college’s website and get acquainted with all of the great resources we offer.
- Utilize counseling opportunities. Transitioning into the academic year can be a challenge, but you are not alone. At South, you have access to career, educational, and personal counseling to help guide you through different stages of life.
- See an advisor. Advisors at South are here to help ensure you are set up to meet your goals in school. They help provide guidance and a pathway to help execute your dreams! Schedule an advising session online today!
Tip 4: Build community! Starting a new quarter can feel really intimidating. Be sure to get involved, take advantage of opportunities to meet new people, and get connected with the campus.
- Join a club. South offers several different student organizations and clubs that promote getting involved on campus and meeting people with like-minded interests!
- Check out the Wellness Center! The Wellness Center is a brand-new facility that offers loads of opportunities to connect with new people, play games, and get a good lift in!
Tip 5: Develop healthy study habits! The start of a new academic year can get very busy and managing your time is a key to success. At the start of the quarter use these tips to help manage your time and schedule.
- Write down all your important deadlines. Writing down important assignment dates helps prepare you to lay out your timeline for completing assignments in a timely manner.
- Choose an optimal study time and location. Choosing a set time to sit down and study for an hour or two a day helps minimize the amount of work that builds up over time. Choose an environment that meets your needs, whether that’s at home, on campus, in a local coffee shop, or in a park!
- Create a study group. If you have a question about something going on in a class, it’s likely someone else does too. Forming study groups to meet outside of class time can help lock in key information for a course, and this is also a great way to build your community at South!
Tip 6: Take care of yourself! Educational success is not possible without ensuring your well-being is taken care of. It is important to find balance and do things that bring you joy or help you find relaxation.
- Slow down and take in the view. Balancing school and life is a challenge. It’s important to slow down sometimes. Grab a cup of coffee or tea and take a walk through South’s arboretum. Take in the views of the city and be sure to take the time to be proud of where you are!
- Connect with friends. Surround yourself with people who bring you joy, and spend time with people you love watching movies, taking walks, and eating food!
Ask for help when you need it! There are moments in life that are not meant to be gone through alone. Every faculty and staff member at South is here to support your success, so reach out when you need help. We got you!
Have a great fall quarter!